De : harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] De la
part de Captron100@xxxxxxx
Envoyé : Sonntag, 05. September 2004 20:13
À : harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc : paparozzi1@xxxxxxxxxxx
Objet : [Harp-L] closed covers

In a message dated 9/4/04 5:32:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Tim Moyer
wrote:

> I have heard that Howard Levy is using Special 20 covers on his
> customized harmonicas, specifically without opening the backs, to
> try and hide some of the bright, brassy tone associated with heavily
> embossed reedslots.  While I can't confirm the reasoning here, I can
> confirm that Howard's gig kit contained nearly entirely harps with
> S20 covers, not opened up.

  The recent posts re Howard Levy reminds me of an interesting story
that
i've never shared.  Must be 5 or 6 years ago by now - I picked up Howard
at the
airport and took him to a workshop that our friend, Harp-L'er Rob
Paparozzi,
ran prior to the first (i think) Harpin' for Hunger concert in NJ (at
the Stone
Pony?).
  Remembering one of the most hotly debated subjects I ever read on this
list
("comb materials debate", i think it was called), I took the opportunity
ask Howard his opinion.  So I asked simply and point blank, "Do u think
that
the material that the comb is made of affects the tone of the harp?"
His vocal
inflection when he replied, "Of course", made me suspect that he thought
it
was without question.  I refrained from telling him of the scientific
tests run
by Harp-L'ers at the harp conventions, and that the results of the tests

showed that the listener could not tell the difference in the sound of
the harp
based on comb materials.  I felt that nothing i could tell him would
affect his
opinion.
  Here's something i learned in a comprehensive apptitude test that i
once
took - according to the Johnson O'Connor aptitutude testing center, a
chief
personality trait is something the research center defined as
"subjective" and
"objective" personality.  One type is not better than the other, just
different,
with some types better suited for different tasks in life.  There are
different degrees of objectivity and subjectivity in personalities, but
simply put,
objective personalities tend to see the large picture and work well in
conjuntion with others.  Subjective personalities tend to rely more on
their own views
and don't work as harmoniously in settings where they are dependent upon

sharing the opinions of others.  It was said that, generally speaking,
professions
where subjectives do well include consultants, lawyers and professional
musicians.  Professions of objective personality types: teachers.  (Hmm,
I wish i
could remember more, but it's been a long time.)  Just a little insight
into
some of the things that go into the making of a person.
  Another interesting thing re this drive from the airport - after a
stop at
a diner where we ate breakfast, Howard excused himself from
conversation,
saying he wanted to warm up in prep for the seminar.  I heard him
working on a
toungue blocking technique that i had never heard of at the time - he
was
practicing an octave riff where he played the run on the higher end of
the harp while
simultaneously bending the lower notes!
  At the time he was playing Filisko customized harps - Hohners with
plastic
combs, iirc, but don't quote me on that last one.
ron