[Harp-L] Little Popper

<So yes, those who think they sound like LW
<and don't are a sad bunch, but those who do, or at
<least approach it, and
<play like that deliberately are also, IMO, a sad
<bunch. If LW said it better
<than you, there's little point in trying to say it
<again, only not as well...

You guys make it sound like being a bad, lifelong
Elvis impersonator.

I've known hundreds of harp players- some of them
famous- and some of them the ones ~you guys~ [whoever
~you~ are. There's a fresh batch every couple years]
periodically call ~LW Clones~. NONE of them ever gave
that a moments thought. They were busy trying to get
good- and sounding like LW is a stage along that path.

Now me, I learned 3rd position and chromatic in the
same period, and that is when I probably sounded most
like a wannabe. Up until then, sadly, I probably
sounded like a Mayall or Butterfield Wannabe [and I
sure was not. If anything, I was a Dylan or Jonathan
Edwards wannabe in my hitch-hiking days- - ~Got a
thumb-burned thumb~ - - -]. Whatever impressed girls
at the beach.

But as I've said before, I've been trying to be a
Flavio Guimaraes/Kim Wilson/Sugar Blue/Kim
Wilson/Clarke/DeLay/Madcat clone for years with very
little danger of that ever irritating any of you
desktop purists.

What I do know is that none of those saying ~don't
imitate anybody, man!~ have never mastered ANYTHING [I
know it by deduction, not personal. No offense]. Frank
Lloyd Wright imitated Mondrian. There is nothing new
under the sun and the tough part is often deciding
whose shoulders to try to climb up on.
Robb