Re: [Harp-L] slidejabs( chipping) - thanks smokey and winslow

On Sep 3, 2004, at 7:02 PM, RUSSEGR9@xxxxxx wrote:

Thanks smokey and windslow, I am definitly going to work on my chipping. I
was playing in my car home from work and thinking about and trying this. this
is a very "sharp" technique. thanks
Russ

No sweat. When I first discovered this technique it was around 1957-58. I loved it so much, I never looked back. I don't know if it was because I was growing up roughly equally between Italy and N.Y.C. or what, but every time I lived in Italy, I progressed much quicker and I think I was trying to do Gypsy music when it came to me. Which brings up an interesting point. Isn't it WONDERFUL when something phenominal comes to you and changes your whole advancement process. I feel the harmonica is THE "Primo" instrument in this respect as it has no many nuances and quirks to overcome. The duplicate Cs is a prime example. I almost never use them, preferring to gliss up into a B then "chip" into a B# (which is a C natural). This is why I love those G&$^%(^% chips. It's also why I love Steveland's style.

smo-joe