Re: [Harp-L] closed covers

fjm wrote:
> While many customised harmonicas have opened up coverplates this
> is not a universal preference.  Jason Ricci was showing me his
> custom bodied Golden Melodys and expressing a very strong
> preference for the closed cover plate design.  He likes the tone.
> He went so far as to play a string of licks on his harmonica and
> then switched to an open cover harmonica to show me how different
> the two sounded.  Of course it was all amazing but if he likes the
> closed cover design I'm not going to argue.  fjm

I have heard that Howard Levy is using Special 20 covers on his
customized harmonicas, specifically without opening the backs, to
try and hide some of the bright, brassy tone associated with heavily
embossed reedslots.  While I can't confirm the reasoning here, I can
confirm that Howard's gig kit contained nearly entirely harps with
S20 covers, not opened up.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps