Re: [Harp-L] Jason Ricci/Spah

I understand and agree with ya.

've been to SPAH only once (colombus 2002), but I think about it everyday. One of the greatest moment in my harmonica life ever.
Since, I met harmonica players, been to convention, but SPAH is definitly THE convention that any player should go.

There, I learned more in 5 days than in the 4 previous years being at other harmonica festival.
At SPAH, you find people to talk to. Not only harmonica players trying to show off what they know.
Dennis Gruenling killed me with his performance, Allen Holmes gave me THE sound I wanted to have, Joe Filisko bought me a beer(so much to say about him), Buzz Krantz and Bill Price gave me a helped hand that I will never forget (buying me food when I had no more money!), Douglas Tate, Jack Ely, Larry Price, Mickael, Winslow, Eugene...
You will never find a better place than SPAH Convention.

Froggy

fjm <mktspot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet so here I go. Jason is very
genuinely obsessed with harmonica. He's so very enthusiastic and very
accessible. Not at all what I expected although I'm not sure what I did
expect. His displeasure with the band was certainly reasonable. For
what he does it did not work. A lot of what he does musically is sawing
off branches that he's standing on and trying to catlike always land on
his feet. Tough to do with abandon if your drummer can't play a
shuffle. I'm so very glad to have had the opportunity to meet Jason and
talk to him one on one. A presence very different from any other I've
ever experienced at a harmonica event. It turned out that we share a
harmonica hero. Pat Ramsey. Jason tells the story of working a
landscape job and saving his money, $800 or so I think. He just up and
moved to Memphis so so could see Pat gig. Now that's dedication, his
ability is definitely hard won. To experience his intensity and focus
was a special treat. Spah was much more intense this year than I've
experienced in the past. Emotionally draining.

I keep telling myself I'll get around to writing a blow by blow
description of my Spah experience, as time goes by I find myself much
less inclined to do so. I will mention that the blues style workshop
was one of the most amazing harmonica events I've ever seen. Jason
Ricci, Rob Paparozzi, Steve Guyger, Dennis Gruenling, and Madcat. They
all sat up on the stage in a row and took turns playing a verse or two.
Truly amazing. This went on for over an hour and then they took
audience questions and talked about some of their harmonica early
influences. My pick of the show for Spah 2004. In a couple of years
I'll wax rhapsodasicly about the good old days of Spah St. Louis and the
Blues Styles Showcase. Very low key and for me that was the beauty of
the whole thing. Again some of the very best diatonic harmonica playing
I've ever heard and I've heard a lot. Guitar, voice, harmonica. Does
it get any better than that? Thank you Tom Albanese for stopping me
from walking out on this one.

Much has been said regarding differing approaches to the running of Spah
the event. One very important thing that Mr. Eisenberg mentioned in
passing is overall volume levels. Dallas was especially bad in this
respect. I fled several shows because of the extreme level of volume.
I always wear customised earplugs with a 25 dB cut and I wasn't willing
to hang with the Paul Harrington show or the Mark Ford show. I think
this one factor more than any other is what emptys the room of the older
Spah folks so quickly. Something to consider for the future. fjm