[Harp-L] Jason Ricci/Spah

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet so here I go. Jason is very genuinely obsessed with harmonica. He's so very enthusiastic and very accessible. Not at all what I expected although I'm not sure what I did expect. His displeasure with the band was certainly reasonable. For what he does it did not work. A lot of what he does musically is sawing off branches that he's standing on and trying to catlike always land on his feet. Tough to do with abandon if your drummer can't play a shuffle. I'm so very glad to have had the opportunity to meet Jason and talk to him one on one. A presence very different from any other I've ever experienced at a harmonica event. It turned out that we share a harmonica hero. Pat Ramsey. Jason tells the story of working a landscape job and saving his money, $800 or so I think. He just up and moved to Memphis so so could see Pat gig. Now that's dedication, his ability is definitely hard won. To experience his intensity and focus was a special treat. Spah was much more intense this year than I've experienced in the past. Emotionally draining.

I keep telling myself I'll get around to writing a blow by blow description of my Spah experience, as time goes by I find myself much less inclined to do so. I will mention that the blues style workshop was one of the most amazing harmonica events I've ever seen. Jason Ricci, Rob Paparozzi, Steve Guyger, Dennis Gruenling, and Madcat. They all sat up on the stage in a row and took turns playing a verse or two. Truly amazing. This went on for over an hour and then they took audience questions and talked about some of their harmonica early influences. My pick of the show for Spah 2004. In a couple of years I'll wax rhapsodasicly about the good old days of Spah St. Louis and the Blues Styles Showcase. Very low key and for me that was the beauty of the whole thing. Again some of the very best diatonic harmonica playing I've ever heard and I've heard a lot. Guitar, voice, harmonica. Does it get any better than that? Thank you Tom Albanese for stopping me from walking out on this one.

Much has been said regarding differing approaches to the running of Spah the event. One very important thing that Mr. Eisenberg mentioned in passing is overall volume levels. Dallas was especially bad in this respect. I fled several shows because of the extreme level of volume. I always wear customised earplugs with a 25 dB cut and I wasn't willing to hang with the Paul Harrington show or the Mark Ford show. I think this one factor more than any other is what emptys the room of the older Spah folks so quickly. Something to consider for the future. fjm