Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 21:43:13 -0000
From: "Winslow Yerxa" <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Fwd:  [Harp-L] Will Scarlett.
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jazmaan@xxxx" <dmf273@xxxx>
wrote:
Will Scarlett "designed the enabler reed principle?"  I'd like to
hear more about this!  Is this
another example of several people independently coming up with the
same scientific discovery
around the same time?

=====

No it is not.

This has been discussed at length many times in the last 10 years on
harp-l; I thought you as a long-time denizen would have remembered,
David.

Will Scarlett designed the principle and built a 3-reed prototype
about 20 years ago, and carefully recorded it in a patent journal. He
showed the patent journal to Rick Epping, who witnessed it with his
signature - I have seen the journal and Rick's signature with my own
eyes. Rick decided to run with the idea and came back to Will with
news of what he was able to line up for developing the idea into a
product, but Will did not want to collaborate, as he wanted to
develop his own idea by himself. Rick went ahead anyway and used the
idea as the core of his design. Will never took out a patent. He told
me that he filed an interference after Rick filed his patent but did
not prevail.

There were other people who did independently come with the enabler
reed principle, but long after Will did. Richard Sleigh came up with
a version the details of which I do not know. Brendan Power came up
with essentially the same idea as Will and got Suzuki to built a 3-
reed system into a proototype 10-hole harp that was only slightly
larger than a standard diatonic. I have seen and played this
instrument; it works quite nicely. When Brendan read about Rick's
patent he and Suzuki dropped further work.

The ironic things is that as far as I understand it, nobody owns a
registered patent on the enabler-reed idea. Rick's patent correctly
cites it as prior art and addressed only the designs that Rick came
with in order to successfully implement the principle, which has a
few problems that have to be solved in order to embody it in a multi-
celled chordal instrument.

Winslow