Re: [Harp-L] Solo tuned diatonics

BBQ Bob wrote:

>According to Pat Missin in an offlist email to
>me a couple of months ago, the Hohner School Band model was even available
>in the key of G, and I've been on the lookout for one ever since.

There were two different School Band models. The School Band Soprano
1816S was about the same size as the Marine Band Soloist 584. The
School Band Tenor 1816T was about the same size as the Marine Band
364.

The 1816S was available in the keys of G and regular C. The 1816T was
available in G and tenor C. At least that's what the catalogs of the
time state. I've never actually encountered one in the key of G.

In addition to the solo tuned harps Jack listed, there is also a
16-hole four octave solo tuned diatonic that turns up on eBay from
time to time under the name Blue Danube, labeled with "Eddie Gordon
Limited Edition". They are valved and about the same production
quality as the Lark (I'd be willing to bet that the both come from
Shanghai), the nicest thing about them being that the have the same
hole spacing as a standard diatonic, rather than the larger spacing of
the 364.

 -- Pat.