Re: [Harp-L] Solo tuned diatonics

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jack Ely" <jely2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2004 2:46 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Solo tuned diatonics

> Hi All,
>
> I purchased a Hering Solo tuned diatonic from
> harp Depot at SPAH. I find the quality very good
> and it plays nicely. Interesting thing to me about it is
> the first 5 holes have windsavers. I've never seen one
> of these with windsavers. The price was $20.
>
> I'm looking for a low cost solo tuned diatonic to be used
> in instruction. All of the ones mentioned here are 12 hole,
> 3 octave harmonicas. FTWDK (for those who don't know)
> a solo tuned diatonic is like having the "C" side of a
> chromatic -- no slide. Should be in the key of C for
> teaching purposes.
>
> The Hohner Marine Band Solo Tuned is good - cost about $37.50.
>
> The Huang Cadet Soloist is very good for the price,
> less than $10 I believe - but I've talked to Cham-Ber
> and he doesn't have any more. They were sometimes
> included with his book "Blues and All That Jazz".
>
> The Lark - made in China is very reasonable at a retail
> price of about $3.00 -- But most of them need some
> tweaking (usually just some reed set) before they can
> be turned over to a student.
>
> The other I have (and I'll have to double check to see if
> it is solo tuned... and if it plays) came from Family Dollar
> Store - the price, you guessed it, $1.00. No Brand name,
> just has HARMONICA on it.
>
> Anyone know of any other solo tuned diatonics?
>
> Jack Ely

Hi Jack,
To the best (or worst) of my knowledge, those are the only ones that I am
aware of presently in production. The 364S Marine Band solo tuned that was
introduced in the early 80's was IMO a really poor quality, leaky as heck
substitute for the Marine Band Solist/School Band model they discontinued in
1975, and I have a couple of those, and having owned all of those that
you've listed, none of those models comes remotely close to measuring up to
the original Marine Band Soloist/School Band models, especiallly in terms of
out of the box playability. According to Pat Missin in an offlist email to
me a couple of months ago, the Hohner School Band model was even available
in the key of G, and I've been on the lookout for one ever since.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com