Re: [Harp-L] SPAH 2004 and moving forward!????

At 10:30 01/09/2004, IcemanLE@xxxxxxx wrote:
Holy Politics, Batman.

I admit I took a puff, but I swear I didn't inhale.

:)

I especially liked the quoting of my pre-2003 Convention comment (and bit
o'favorable promo) being used in an attempt (and correct me if I am misreading
Douglas' intent) to discredit the fact that I found the actual convention
depressing (because of the ever widening rift and dissatisfaction between the
"diatonic vs chromatic" camps).

Correct

I know that Douglas would never intentionally overlook the point of my
original posting, not offering any kind of reasoned discussion about the issues
raised.

I reason reasonably against reasonable reason. The implied criticism that SPAH had totally failed since you left was not acceptable or accurate.

Many older members (Chrom/Chord/Bass/Harmonetta) and their wives, who have
supported this convention since the 60's, are unhappy about the widening rift
between the two camps. It was Rob P.s comment "I spoke with alot of senior
players that felt that the 'Diatonic' guys have taken over "Their"
convention...feeling slighted in some ways" that rekindled my passion.

Understood

My posting voiced concern and gave a suggestion or two in how to turn this
situation around.

Yes

Happiness is what people want. The older members are becoming unhappy. The
one item that gave them the most happiness (Swing Dance - remember, they looked
50 years younger out on the dance floor, laughing, smiling; older Chromatic
guys playing with a competent swing band the tunes that they loved for the
dancers) was one of the first aspects of the convention to be deleted by the new
post 2000 convention philosophy.

Not deleted... just not repeated. This was not a policy decision. Strangely enough I cannot find any reference to you suggesting it as a part of what we were organising at that time for the Denver convention.(ie, the next one) You will remember that all our meetings were on the internet and we therefore have a word for word record of what was said. and you were present when we were discussing arrangements up until almost Christmas. That wasn't a stick to beat you with, I was honestly surprised as I thought it would have come up when we were discussing arrangements for the convention. I do, however recall that the dance floor was not exactly crowded.

Why?
Check this out - even if the first 3 1/2 days of a convention are full of
divided camps, too loud concerts, whatever - if you end the convention with
something that gives this much joy to the members, they will go away remembering
mostly the last experience they had. The way this works is like magic.

It is a nice idea ... as are many of the ones which the new regime (together with ideas from members) has also implemented. Thank you for reminding us. I'm not certain that a lollipop after irritation cures all ills though, as a great way to end a convention with a last waltz it is a lovely idea. One point we try to do now is to give a continuously pleasant experience to all of the attendees. Sometimes we manage, sometimes we don't. Usually the bulk seem to think it is pretty good.

IT WOULD BE GOOD IF PEOPLE ON THIS LIST put in practical ideas for improvement. It would help if you have been to a convention and seen what goes on... but you may have a brilliant idea even if you haven't. One thing... remember that we need to be balanced in what we do, and we can't pay large fees!!!

Hmmm, something to think about, n'est pas?

It certainly is, Ollie!

Douglas Tate
President ... SPAH