Fwd: [Harp-L] Tuning

Rick -

You're experiencing intervals that may be in tune according to equal
temperament but are not in tune "acoustically", i.e. according to the
simple mathematical ratios at the basis of just tuning.

Pat Missin makes some brilliant arguments in favor of just tuning,
gives comparative sound files, and a detailed method for tuning
harmonicas to just tuning - largely by ear - at his website.
www.patmissin.com

I've taken up the practice with really good results.
I had some questions about what he wrote, and asked them on the
Harpon forum, where he gave some good answers. That forum is at:

http://lists.topica.com/lists/harpon/read?

You need to sign up just like you do for harp-l. It's a tech-oriented
list - no Popper flames, discussions of SPAH, microphone talk - just
harmonica tech talk for people who are tweaking, repairing, and
building instruments, or who wish to discuss some of the finer points
of playing technique.

Winslow

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Rick Dempster"
<rick.dempster@xxxx> wrote:
I have noticed, particularly when tuning reeds in the top octave,
that I often get 'ugly' tones when playing two reeds
similtaneously, such as 9-10 blow or draw, 8-9 etc. When I listened
more carefully, I noticed that what I was hearing
was an overtone in the octave below the notes played.
When it was the root, the two notes played sounded clear, but when it
was anything else, the two notes sounded
distorted. Now I am wondering if listening to that overtone is the
right way to tune two notes. The question remains,
which reed is then the one to be adjusted, and how does it relate to
the rest of the notes on the harp?
On the lower notes (ie the first two octaves) the overtone is much
deeper and harder to hear.
Also, if the notes are differing intervals, should the overtone be
anything other than the octave (so that if I play
blow 9-10- a 'g' and 'c'- on a 'c' harp the overtone will be a
low 'c', but if I play 8 & 9 - an 'e' and 'g' what should
the overtone be?
I know I will gradually work this out for myself, but I would like to
know if anyone else has noticed this and what
they make of it.
Cheers,
Rick Dempster