[Harp-L] Tuning

I have noticed, particularly when tuning reeds in the top octave, that I often get 'ugly' tones when playing two reeds
similtaneously, such as 9-10 blow or draw, 8-9 etc. When I listened more carefully, I noticed that what I was hearing
was an overtone in the octave below the notes played.
When it was the root, the two notes played sounded clear, but when it was anything else, the two notes sounded
distorted. Now I am wondering if listening to that overtone is the right way to tune two notes. The question remains,
which reed is then the one to be adjusted, and how does it relate to the rest of the notes on the harp?
On the lower notes (ie the first two octaves) the overtone is much deeper and harder to hear.
Also, if the notes are differing intervals, should the overtone be anything other than the octave (so that if I play
blow 9-10- a 'g' and 'c'- on a 'c' harp the overtone will be a low 'c', but if I play 8 & 9 - an 'e' and 'g' what should
the overtone be?
I know I will gradually work this out for myself, but I would like to know if anyone else has noticed this and what
they make of it.
Cheers,
Rick Dempster