[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 13, Issue 1

>Those on this list who make a point out of bashing Popper at every
opportunity >might take a moment to ask themselves whether they could put a convincing
solo >together in 6th position on a moment's notice.

Seriously.  He is a very talented player, and I do not understand why it is
fashionable to dis him.  I am 19, and this gives me a unique perspective that
many of you "old-timers" do not have.  When I mention that I play the harmonica
(if you can call it playing), people frequently bring up John Popper.  He
brought the harmonica to the front of a band, and he took the band to the top of
the charts.  I heard "Run Around" just yesterday on a local Top 40 station.
How many people can create a single that still receives air times after so many
years?  While Little Walter was great, I'd guess that less than 1% of people
under 22 would recognize the name, and when Howard Levy came to my university,
the turn-out wasn't exactly the same as for Jason Mraz (though you can bet I
was there).  Anyone who can put our instrument out there like he did deserves
credit.  Not only that, he really is a very talented player.  "Four" holds a
permanent spot in my car's disk changer, and a couple other Blues Traveler cd's
have been known to rotate in and out.