RE: [Harp-L] An illustrative story.

Hi guys. Great discussion.

--- Steve Shaw <moorcot@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> It's the guys who aren't really good yet but who
> neither know it or don't care to know it.
> Arrogance has no place in music-making - a dash
> of healthy ego or pride (justified) is another
> matter.

Steve makes a great point... one the I know really
~really~ bothers guys like BBQ Bob. Guys who suck,
yet don't want to get better, are arrogant and just
get up there for the attention.

There's a guy in my area  (a tough-looking biker
type) who seems to show up at every open mic in the
city. He gets up on stage, calls out something like
Hoochie Coochie Man... then proceeds to mangle it
into non-recognition, due both to very poor timing,
a seeming inability to ether hear the band, stay on
key with vocals or blow any single notes
whatsoever.

The audience basically cringes for his three songs,
but they guy's arrogance is monumental. He see's no
fault in his performances.

Here's a story for you:
I followed him onstage at one open mic, played a
couple songs and got the audience back on track,
got them re-energized and applauding my harp solos
-- back to having a good time. Then I got this guy
to share the stage with me for one song, you know a
"battle of the harps" kind of thing... thinking
(foolishly) to show him where and how to plug in
his harp for fills, trading fours with him to
'guide' him through a solo block.... The song
actually pulled off fairly well, but my efforts
didn't pay off.

What a waste of time. Sat down with the guy and
bought him a beer. Asked him how long he'd been
playing etc. He said he'd taught himself to play
(what a surprise), and that he liked my playing. I
told him what I was doing with him on that song and
noted how his playing improved a LOT when he stayed
in the groove as he did with me in that song. But
when I offered to give him some tips on how to do
that himself, he clammed up and split. Oh well.

Some people will never learn, don't want to learn
and that's that. Makes the rest of our efforts to
legitimize what we do that much more difficult.

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.