[Harp-L] Re: An Illustrative Story

Interesting post.  While I don't disagree with Sam and Bob on the point of
"not ready for prime time" players getting on the bandstand, I think this is
a more complicated matter than who is ready and who is not, especially if
the player doesn't know their own limitations.  Who's to decide whether a
player is ready or not?  My first thought is the audience.  If the player
truly "sucks" the audience will let me know by walking out or just not
coming to the next gig.  If the player "sucks" by a harp player's standard,
well that may be a different matter.  I think I would rather engage the
player during a break, talk harp, gear, techniques etc.  There are tactful
ways of letting them know, this worked or that didn't.

As to the "representing the instrument" points.  I wouldn't put too fine a
point on that.  There are plenty of "bad" guitarist, bass, and drummers out
there too.  Are they "representing" their instrument?  I totally agree with
Bob's quote from Rod Piazza.  Getting on the bandstand too soon would
definitely be a problem.  But at what level?  Getting on a stage at venues
frequented by Mr. P. would be suicidal if you truly "suck".  Getting on a
bandstand at your local bar scene is a whole different story.  Lots of
players truly "suck".   Getting up at an open mic carries a whole different
standard.  This is where you are allowed to suck with impunity.

Best Regards to All,

Larry Boy Pratt

www.parkhousejam.com