[Harp-L] An illustrative story.

Hi Folks,

There have been several posts on this list about harp players' ability to
behave themselves when playing out at jams or where ever, so that our little
instrument can rise in respect, the idea being that if you actually suck at
playing the harp and don't know enough musically about what you're doing it
all goes to contribute to the general public's being annoyed by the
harmonica rather than being thrilled by it. In short, many harp players, my
self included, wish all beginning/intermediate players would try to get a
good grip on what they are doing before venturing out to a live music venue.

I thought I'd share with you a couple of anecdotes that illustrate this -
what do I call it? - 'ethic' a bit.  I recently went out with my girlfriend
to hear a blues band that is a favorite of mine in the area.  It had been a
while since I had heard them and I was surprised to see they had a new front
man doing vocals and harmonica.  In a word, he sucked.  This guy was really
torturing  his harp up there and I was amazed that this very professional
band was putting up with it.  The overall effect was that he brought the
whole band down (IMHO).  (Incidentally, he was using a Harp Commander, and
now that I've heard one being used I don't think I'll be buying one. Maybe
this was  not the best use of it though.)

I also went out to a local jam recently where there were two other harp
players veiing for stage time.  Now these guys *were* good players and so I
didn't mind waiting my turn in this situation; in fact their being there
made the evening, and my playing, more enjoyable.  But I was thinking that
if there had been someone there who really sucked at the harp it would have
made it far less fun and no, it wouldn't have made me sound better by
comparison. It would have just made all 'harmonica activity' less
appreciated.  So I can see why some contributors on this list come off
sounding rather harsh in their chastising of their fellow players.  I'm not
perfect and I am definitely not a prodigy on the harmonica but I will say
this:  I made sure I had a good idea of how to play with a band before I
started playing out.  This was mostly to save my own but from
embarrassment - I wasn't worried about doing honor to the harmonica or
anything high minded like that.  But I do see where it's important to the
harmonica community as a whole to try to be proficient before you go out and
bother other people with it.  So - this sounds really corny, I know- let's
all try to do our instrument proud when we play for others to hear.  And if
you aren't really good yet maybe you should keep it at home for a while
longer until you are.

Sam Pittsburgh

Sam Blancato, Pittsburgh