Re: [Harp-L] Jump blues opinions

Michael Peloquin wrote:
From: "Jay M. Thompson" <JMThomps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I find myself gravitating more and more to jump blues and I would like to start listening to some of the real deal 40s/50s stuff that's available. Where do I start?

LOUIS JORDAN
Jay McShann
Roy Milton
Count Basie

Michael Peloquin
http://www.globerecords.com/cgi-bin/db/search.cgi?specific=itemno&phrase=GLO-025

.

A few more that are pretty fun:

Joe Turner
Eddie Vinson
Wynonie Harris
Hot Lips Page (Basie alum)
Julia Lee
T Bone Walker, BB King, and Lowell Fulson all did some records early in their careers with small groups that featured horns and nice arrangements. BB King did a Louis Jordan tribute album.
Gatemouth Brown has always done a lot of music with a jump blues flavor. Just don't tell him that.

I can get carried away on this stuff. It combines two of my favorite things--small group jazz from the 30s and 40s and strong blues vocals. The Basie band always sounded like there weren't really brass and reed sections, just a brass player and a reed player who played several instruments at the same time with superhuman skill.

-- Hear Barrelhouse Solly on the internet--that's me

http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly