Re: [Harp-L] harp amp

Jon asked:

> Why do people prefer using big amps on stage that don't need micing?

This is because there are lots of "lead guitarists" with 200watt Marshall
stacks! If a harp player is lucky enough to play at a venue with a pro sound man
with PA... you can play your harp through a 2 watt "mini amp" and it will
sound great to the audience.
Sadly, most venues seem to have peoiple running the house PA that say "I've
never done this before" or "I've never liked the harmonica"....
So OFTEN a harp player needs at least SOME control of their volume... ie... A
LOUD amp!.
For 25 years I gigged with a 100watt Vox amp... Then I went to a 120 Watt
Fender Bassman top.... Now I use a 40 Watt Fender Blues De Luxe... This is quite
a LOUD harp amp... even though it has just one 12" speaker.
Lately I have been playing in 2000 seat auditoriums with a really GOOD sound
man... I can then play accoustic and in "front of house" I'm louder than the
20 piece orchestra... Well what do you expect with a 5 Killowatt PA?
But "back down the pub" with my band.... I need a decent (loud) valve amp!
Kind regards
John Walden
London England