[Harp-L] Virtuosity (and all that jazz)

Greetings to the world of harpers.  There's this Jr. Wells CD called  "Everybody's Gettin' Some"  Everybody's getting some of this thread eh?

I have this musical argument with a fellow at work, from which  I came to some personal conclusions.  All this talk about what "counts" or what is 1/2 and instrument, or etc. made me think of this guy.  He's a brilliant scientist, abrasive, but fun person... a little nerdy, but a musical Nazi.  His posistion is simply, "classical music is the only music, everything else is trivial child's play"  He states that jazz is "cute" but holds no musical value.  He patently ignores any and all other music and discredits it.

Now, as an aspiring improvisational harmonica player,  (I consider myself a "player" and don't like the title of "musician" because I don't read the language and learn mostly by ear.  But that's just the way I am.)  I have tried to argue with this man at length, but the only counter argument I can ever get him to consider is this:

First Part of my Argument:
What is the purpose of music?  No really,  it's true, fundamental root.  What the hell does it or any art DO.  It doesn't burn and create heat like oil.  It doesn't grow into food.  You can't block the rain with it.  At the core.... all the way back... music DOES  NOTHING......... except make us happy.  Bring us joy or distract us from toil, or create a feeling,  drive us towards expression, or  whatever.  It is ephemeral.  It's storytelling, or painting or dance.  The purpose is in our minds and souls only.

Second Part:  What is the Scope of music, and where does any one person belong?

I've seen a lot of posts this week about what counts and who's virtuous to whom .... and on and on and on.  It's fun to debate, fun to toss this all around.  I love a good hard discussion bordering on argument.   But this guy is tough folks.  part 2 gets him to stop, so maybe someone will dig in harp land.

I think of music as a continuum.  LIke a really long number line, let's say from 1 to 100.  At the beginning I see cave people grunting and banging on rocks and enjoying themselves.  At 100, I see a mad scientist type with and occilliscope measuring the exact frequencies of every note, and every interval, noting the exact ellapsed time between every beat.  In short, analyzing the hell out of it.  In the middle lives the entire X billion of us.  Everybody goes to there own spot on the line.  Whether it's to " As long as I can sing along"  or "Only classical counts".  And at the core of it all, everyone who likes music gets out of it what they want.  Some joy, some distraction, or creative outlet.  And nobody's right or wrong.  It's jut music.

For Direct Harp content, I too wrestle with the fact that many people play some regrettable harp.  And many others don't know what's ability vs. hacking.  It troubles me too.  I asked Rick Estrin what he thought, and it made me feel better.  He said,  "man, sometimes something that is cool isn't for everbody.

That made me feel a little better.