From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of bon@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, October 22, 2004 9:06 PM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] flames

Dear list,

I come back to checking email and find flames going on.  Winslow was right
about me, I need no protection.  I actually am really happy to see such
discussions because sometimes it drives another player into the woodshed
and it certainly makes us all think about musicianship.

The first thing I should say is I love harmonica players, BUZZ and FILISKO
owe me beer so they are not included, and I love the harmonica. I would
never say anything bad about another harmonica player.

 I do like to see players work hard to acheive better performances and
more knowledge.  I think virtuosi like Van Halen know their scales and
have practiced many hours every day to achieve their virtuosity at least
at some point in their lives.

I like and play diatonic harmonica; anybody who saw me a the Summit
getting off to Kim Wilson's playing knows that.  I know if I practiced I
could play diatonic on a high level.  My problem is I only have one life
and there is not time to play the Tcherepnin Harmonica Concerto on the
highest level and then practice the diatonic.  If there were 30 hours in
day, I think I could do it.

I do not consider myself a virtuoso; there are always things I would like
to "do again" after each concert and it is this fact that drives me into
working so hard each day to achieve the impossible perfection.  I do feel
I am a good musician and Winslow is right, a certain amount of confidence
is needed to make a living as a harmonica soloist with orchestras.

I like practicing because I love playing the harmonica!  What I try to do
is get players off their butts and practice.  If you love the instrument,
then blow, don't just talk, play it.  Don't do it for me, do it for you.

I love the kudos I get from other musicians - when the Concert Master from
the Boston Symphony came up to me and said, "How did you learn to phrase
like that?"  and I answered, "I was coached by the First Flute of the New
York City Ballet for 12 years on the major works for Harmonica and
Orchestra."  and she said, "Ah, I knew it was something." and walked away,
That made me feel great!  So if you work for two years on some pianissimo
high note lick in the blues, and then someone comes up and says, "I love
your playing, especially that high soft part" then you too can smile and
walk away.

Harmonically yours,

Robert Bonfiglio