Re: [Harp-L] virtuoso (vs crap?)

Well now, some list big-knob has declared the thread dead. Though that is only democratic in the sense of George-Bush-won-the-election-by-a-majority type democratic, I happen to agree that this thread has run its course. All I know is that the guy is not well-known in my harp circles (Irish trad), and that I'm not well-known in his. The twain are unlikely to meet, what's more. I've read some pretty pompous stuff in recent days, a lot of which must be very discouraging to all except the nought-point-zero-five percent of us (not including me) who can confidently claim to be non-crap.

Well, don't be discouraged, folks. I've just got back from a vintage session which I'll remember for months to come. A bit of adrenalin admittedly, but no testosterone or crankiness in sight. Some damn good music-making, with an appreciative audience, and, as the Irish would say, some real craic. All amateurs, some of us not having picked an instrument up for a fortnight, some tunes biting the dust, but mostly brilliant FUN. (Jeez, I messed some tunes up....but I felt like a bloody vir...no, I can't bring myself to say it... on others). You hear that word, you nought-point-nought-five-percenters? FUN!! Fun for us, fun for the audience. The landlord couldn't get the buggers to go home. Now that's what I call music!

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica

Steve's CD of mostly traditional Irish, "Blowing Through The Reeds," is now available! Hear clips at http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm

It's fast, it's easy and it's free. Get MSN Messenger today! http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger