[Harp-L] virtuoso vs crap

Virtuoso? - so do we play "largo" or slow, fortisimo or loud - sometimes, was
that last concert a bravura performance or a great concert?  sometimes when
people try to interchange terms between traditions and languages (in this case
classical and vulgar) people will argue about terms.  When is the last time
you have heard anyone refer to the great bagpipe virtuosi.  Anyone care to state
which harmonica players could be considered a Genius?  Meaning is not merely
defined by the dictionary but by the people that speak it, and it is always
changing and meaning is modified.

Anyway, although what you say about 75 percent of the harp players could be
true, other instrumnetalists are no different.  There are so many theoretically
untrained musicians on all instruments including the violin, and the harp is
no different.  And there are a lot of non theory people that can get on stage
and leave the theory, daily scales people in the dust and vice versa.  Anyway
most diatonic players that continue to play have to learn basic theory
(scales) anyway, otherwise how do they know what harp to pick up? Harp positions etc.

Myself I have found, and this might just be my personal experience, that the
audience responds very positively to a good harp player.  You dont find a lack
of respect there!  while the musicians on stage will worry just as much about
someone who says they can play drums or guitar and asks to sit in as they do
about about a harp player.  The proof is in the pudding, you get or lose
respect once you start playing -  and that is the only respect that matters.  A
musician is a musician.

<