Re: [Harp-L] virtuoso (vs crap?)

Chris Michalek:

These people do not fit under my statemtent.  These people are not
musicians.  A guy who's been playing for 10 minutes is not even
considered a harmonica player. A person who gets up on stage for the
time and screws up is a beginner/student not a musician.

Hmmm. I've heard some damn fine, moving stuff played by "crass amateurs" in many musical spheres many times (and some bad stuff too). I've also heard some pretty sterile misfires played on CD by supposed consummate artists (and some good stuff too). I don't think there's much joy in trying to divide us up into musicians and non-musicians. I feel the same about the term "virtuoso."

Honey and Ants to Moor cottage asap.... :-)

.....perhaps later....

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica

Steve's CD of mostly traditional Irish, "Blowing Through The Reeds," is now available! Hear clips at http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm