[Harp-L] re: Virtuosity

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mojo Red
<harplicks@xxxx> wrote:
> --- "jazmaan@xxxx" <dmf273@xxxx>
> wrote:
> > Parker was universally recognized by his musical
> > peers to be the greatest alto player alive.
>
> Yeah, I think Parker even sorta scared his peers
> because he was so good.

> Is there anyone like that playing harp today?
> Harpin' in Colorado,
> --Ken M.

certainly there's amazingly talented players, but i
get the impression there's no musicians, at all, like
Parker these days. Parker managed to both awe the
elite in his field (jazz, in this case) and appeal to
the mainstream. i don't think there's anyone out there
with that kind of grip on such a large segment of the
music-consuming public, nor am i sure it would be
possible today to be of such broad appeal. of course,
i could be talking out of my a**, but it's the
impression i get ;)

   --Jp