Re: [Harp-L] virtuoso

On Oct 20, 2004, at 3:45 PM, Steve Shaw wrote:
There was a guy in the 1930s called Artur Schnabel who recorded all Beethoven's piano sonatas on scratchy old sides of 78s. His playing had so many fluffs and wrong notes in it that you could sit there and groan at times when listening to it....but, today, in spite of all the modern young bucks who can play the same stuff fast and faultlessly, he is revered by many (including a lot of the best modern-day players) as the greatest ever interpreter of Beethoven's piano music.

Was he a virtuoso? I neither know nor care!

Steve

I feel the same way when guys go on and on about various dead guys (who weren't all THAT good). I mean, they were good, but certainly not up to "Deity" status. It's like comparing swimmers from the 1954 and 2004 olympics. This dog won't hunt.

smo-joe