[Harp-L] Virtuosity on "half" an instrument

Dear List,

When players treat the harmonica as "half" an instrument or a "toy" then
the audience and critics will treat it the same way. My life is dedicated
to playing this instrument at the highest level and bringing the
harmonica's potential to the awareness of other musicians, thereby raising
its' image.

I just came back from three weekends of concerti playing where the
instrument is taken seriously. If the harmonica can play in the 3,000 seat
Teatro Colón with a 60 piece orchestra and no amplification and get a rave
review, then it must be a "whole" instrument.

AN ATYPICAL AND VIRTUOSO SOLOIST IN TEATRO COLON
"Robert Bonfiglio was an exceptional virtuoso. In the clarity of his
sounds, to his secure intonation, with extraordinary control he exhibited
every possible human emotion..."
Juan Carlos Montero
LA NACION - 3 Oct 2004

It is harmonica players that hold back the image of the harmonica.  Do what
a violin player does to learn to play - practice scales and arpeggios for 2
hours a day for 10 years, learn piano, sight-singing, keyboard harmony,
etc. - how about just practice the scales for 2 hours a day for 10 years
and then let's talk about the harmonica as "half" an instrument.

"Virtuosity" is a relative thing; virtuosity on the horn is not the same as
virtuosity on the violin.  Stevie Wonder, Toots and Levy are virtuosi.
Just try to play what they play if you don't believe me.  How come there
aren't 100 Stevie Wonder imitators.

I got this review playing our little "toy" from the Ridgefield Symphony
Orchestra concert last weekend that describes what a "virtuoso" is to the
"T."

"A few regular RSO audience members probably opted out this time because the
announced solo instrument was to be a harmonica rather than their usual
favorite, a piano or a violin. Well, shame on them. Their punishment is that
they missed out on one of the memorable treats I've experienced in close to
three decades during which I've reviewed these concerts.
Harmonica virtuoso Robert Bonfiglio is a (lamentably) rare amalgam of a
technically brilliant performer on his instrument and a warm and
unpretentious fellow whose combination of artistry, personal involvement
with the music he plays, and (perhaps most important) his obvious love of
what he is doing, makes him a true musical communicator."
Courtenay Caublé
THE RIDGEFIELD PRESS - Oct 21, 2004

"Musical communicator" describes Stevie and Toots perfectly.  They can play
what comes into theirs minds at any given time.  Technique is a 'given';
Toots and Stevie are "technically brilliant performers" but it is
"artistry" that makes a virtuoso.

I would give my left arm to be able to play like Toots or Stevie on chromatic!!!

And in a discussion over a meal with Howard Levy and Rob Paparozzi I asked
Howard, "Do you feel you know the limitations of the harmonica or are just
scratching the surface of it's possibilities?"  Howard answered, "Just
scratching the surface."

I too feel I am just "scratching the surface" of the possibilities of this
wonderful instrument called the harmonica.

Harmonically yours,

Robert Bonfiglio

http://www.robertbonfiglio.com/main