Re: [Harp-L] Virtuosity

On Oct 19, 2004, at 8:04 PM, Steve Shaw wrote:

I don't even know whether there's any such thing as a virtuoso, and even if there is I wouldn't like to be the one to have to write the definition.

Me neither. To me it's someone who can raise the hair on the back of your neck even IF the material they are playing is nothing special. If they can take a mundane piece and make it come alive and move you, this is the grail. I was listening to the Eivets Rednow CD today and while there are nine tunes there, only 6 are any good. And while Stevie does as masterful a job as possible on them, 5 1/2 (out of 7) come off as good. (BTW 2 tunes have NO harmonica). Sooo, 5 1/2 out of 7 = 78.57%. Sorry Stevie, no cigar today.

AND, before someone decides to send me a possessed effegy doll from the Sunderbands, remember..NO-one likes Stevie's playing more than I do.

One thing I do know is that there's more to it than being a consummate master of technique.

Exactly, I firmly believe that the SCAPS (scientific compendium of associated parameters)involved in BEING a virtuoso, are so extensive that they would make an excellent Doctorial thesis for someone in either the music OR sociology fields. Remember not to discount genetics, culture, theology, etc. Any takers?

My son, now aged 24, is a very talented guitarist, (though, lamentably, he has yet to find an outlet for his playing).

Yup, know whatcha mean, nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

He was taught by a well-known classical guitarist/lutenist through his school years. Once, his teacher organised a "masterclass" which was taken by an eminent Hungarian classical guitarist. I was sitting in on this when it was my son's turn to come under the "master's" scrutiny. My son duly played his prepared piece, rather well I thought at the time. But, just as he finished the piece, the "master" seized the guitar and said in broken English: "you played the notes very very well. But now I show you how to play music..."

That evening the Hungarian played a concert for all the pupils and parents. The music-making was sublime, and not once did I think about the guy's "technique."

Technique takes you to that fork in the road. A trip down EITHER fork will take you to another, then another, etc. Some like to think "ladder" but (to me) that connotes a necessity for always climbing or going UP. I think it just as ok to go Obliquely.

My son is now into Radiohead and Red Hot Chili Peppers big-time, but he still talks affectionately about that day.

The affectionately part is a good sign. smo-joe

Steve