[Harp-L] vituosity

Much time spent on this subject. I remember the same issue brought up about
my mentor, Sonny Terry. If he was not a virtuoso in every right, then I might
as well put my harp down now. To start long conversations about a word and who
fits within that word, seems like it should be left for the classroom. The
playing field of music, just my opinion, is who inspires, who makes you Feel the
music they are playing, not just hear it, and if someone can make the hair
stand up on your arms like Sonny did as I stood beside him trying to keep up,
then to me that is what is important. Someone like Robert Bonfiglio who while
playing the exact notes of a classic piece expresses emotion, and yes, Stevie
Wonder in my opinion had that same effect on me, as did Lee Oskar, whom I have
had the pleasure of feeling his soul while we played together. Anyone at the
2000 Masterclass who was part of that experience, that is what music is. It was
me saying, Hey Lee, let's do something together. Sure he said, nothing worked
out, I just laid down a rythm and he played some insanely beautiful melodies
over it. I honestly don't remember one note or anything about it, it just
happened. I never put myself in that category or even think I am close, but I have
played with greatness, and virtuousos. Life's too short, play fellows, play
till it hurts. Sonny Jr.