Re: [Harp-L] Was The Woodshed - Adler detrimental to playing

Has anyone noticed in Adler the sort of
technical oddities that might have worked for him but would be detrimental to
someone trying to learn the harmonica and who does not necessarily have Adler's
phenomenal talent?

The amount of time you spend trying to cop his tricks will be detrimental to your life. He seems to have extremely fine control of pitch and tone on every hole and a whole lot of other skills. He must of spent years working on improving his fine control. I don't think this can happen by "just playing", seems to me it requires constant focused practice.

I'm not so sure Adler was a natural talent, people who are natural talents often don't want to work because they are so used to getting things easy. They tend to peak quickly and move on to something else when it gets hard. Stevie Wonder was probably a natural talent. He was great, but he never became a virtuoso. People without talent have a lot to prove.

with.  Whoever thought playing the harmonica could be a dangerous business
unless it was a chromatic and you got your tongue caught while moving the
slide?....

Hey playing the harp isn't dangerous, but messing with someone's girl is... risky.

Pierre .

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken Wolman" <kwolman@xxxxxxxxxxx>