[Harp-L] what's that trick

I think I might have some insight, seeing as I lived with and played
harmonica duets with Sonny for two years, with him showing me everything I asked, a
very gracious man. The hand waves, effects, all shape the tone of the note, and
can be used as a simulated vibrato virtually. Like playing in front of a fan.
If you block some of either the bottom opening or top of the harp you force
air in a different way, putting pressure more on the top or bottom reeds than
with both sides open. That is the thing you see, maybe two or three fingers
being shoved on the harp directly in. SBW did that also, of course his hands could
block the sun from a child:)) Sonny didnt tell me why he did things, that was
for me to figure out over 30 years more of playing since. I know exactly the
video, why don''t you all try tap dancing and playing harp at the same time,
Blindfolded!! Now that was one incredible harp player. He would also wave a
finger or two across the front, it you listen carefully to his music, you will
hear sublteties throughout you probably can't pinpoint what he is doing. Some
was show, most was effects, which intiially were created when Sonny was playing
on streets to make money in the early 30's, after losing his second eye's
sight at age 16, first was at 10, both in accidents playing. He could see about
10% through what he called a grey haze in one eye. So he would try and attract
people to put money in his hat rather than others on the same block on payday,
his father initially taught Sonny, and he carried on, the more he whooped and
flailed his hands, the more money he heard drop, and it became his style. Some
of Sonny's most intricate work is with Blind Boy Fuller on the two CD set.
There are a few things there I am still trying to get down. I knew a guy when I
was on the road with Sonny, named Little Larry, from Altanta, who had a
shortened hand on one side, so his tone was even more impressive in seeing his
limitations. He was with Big Walter for a few years like I was with Sonny, helping
him out, this was in the early 70's, I met Larry in 77. He told me BW with
block the whole upper or lower opening with a finger, forcing the air from one
half to push the air up through the rest of the harp. If you try this you will
hear a thicker sound. He also used to blow through the back of the harp before
he played to warm up the reeds, this is what Larry told me, in the 70's if was
a different time, guys were just cool and we hung out and played, no
competition. Same way I met Lee Oskar and have done harp duets with him, we just hit
it off, he is one my all time idols as are all the rest. Good luck.