Re: [Harp-L] Marine Band timeline?

Marion.Spiers@xxxx wrote:
> I found an older MB in "G" in an antique store for 20 bucks still
> in the box, and it has different covers than what the new ones do.
> What are the general characteristics of older models, which are
> most desirable (from a blues-playing standpoint -not collector
> value).

Hohner changed the covers from nickel plate to chrome plate in 2000,
other than that there's not much difference between harps made since
1996 or so, when they retooled the handmade line.  There was a
period prior to the retooling when there was a softer plate alloy,
but the harps were generally worse then than ones made later.
Basically, anything with a "freshness date" on the plates should be
post retooling, and should be among the better harps.  Before that
you pretty much have to go back to before WWII to find "best
quality" Marine Bands.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps