Fwd: [Harp-L] The Woodshed - and the axe

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "samblancato"
<samblancato@xxxx> wrote:
Hi Guys,

With winter coming up I am trying to think up some sort of structured,
disciplined plan for making real growth in my playing skills, a plan
of
studies if you will.  I don't just want to break out the harps and
blow,
following the path of least resistance.  I know I'll figure out
*some* kinds
of activities that will get me some improvement, probably along four
lines -
learning songs of the masters note for note (I'd like to do about 8),
working on overblows (Jason Ricci inspired me), more work on 3rd
position
and more throat vibrato (I've actually made some progress here).

=======

Ok, narrowing it down is good.

Now, within each subject, you may want to draw some boundaries.

Figure out what does in fact constitute the path of least resistance
for each subjet .

Now, for each subject, figure out what you'd like to do that goes
beyond the easy path.

- Is is close to the easy path or far away?

- Can you clearly discern the path you need to blaze in order to get
there? These may involve improvements in specific technqiues, or
simply working with the scales and chords involved if it's something
like a position.

- Can you discern a series of stages involved? Learning Jason Ricci
solos note for note definitely involves overblows. Can you discern,
for instance, which holes he's overbending on? Then, where is he
coming from and going to in the line that includes that overbend? So,
for instance, if he's using a Hole 4 overblow, first you need to be
able to create that note. Then, if he's approaching that note from,
say, blow 5, you need to be able to approach 4OB from 5B.

Now, you may find that it's helpful to create a series of exercises
that reinforce the specific things you're trying to strengthen. For
overblows in Jason Ricci solos, you might want to practice the
specific overblows, then just the overblow note with the approach and
following notes, repeated over and over slowly, then the containing
phrase. Go through maybe one verse this way, then another.

In other words, for each thing you're trying to learn, break it down
into the components. Practice each component until it's strong. Then
put it with the neighboring component and strngthen that combination.
By starting with the smallest units individually and then combining
them, you can build up.

If you keep your goal in mind, and identify the steps needed to get
there, you can find the practice regime that works best for your
specific needs and your temperament.

Winslow