[Harp-L] Mojo in Minneapolis

Hi gang,

Some of you may remember my request a couple weeks
ago to find harp happenings in the Minneapolis area
to help me survive a business trip.

Well, I want to publicly thank all who chimed in
with helpful suggestions, and to especially thank
Bill "Wild Willy" Gausman for hooking me up last
Friday night.

Bill picked me up at my hotel and drove me from
Minneapolis, accross the river to North St. Paul,
to an old bar called Neumann's to hear a local
blues band called "Cool Disposition". What a great
night!

First of all, Neumann's is a tiny place, older than
the hills, wood panels, hunting trophies on the
wall and burgers on the menu. We ate and Bill
introduced me to tons of patrons as he'd obviously
played there a number of times.

The band just smoked in Chicago blues and West
Coast jump-swing stuff that got the jitter-bug
dancers out on the floor. Cool Dispositon consists
of Mickey Bauer on vocals, Harold Tremblay playing
killer Chicago-soaked harp, Dan Schwalbe playing
very clean/versatile/tasteful lead guitar, Greg
Beach on bass and Dwight Christensen on drums.
Whew!

There is NUTHIN' like a great band playing to a
great crowd. Yowsa! Bill introduced me to Harold
and the guys and they actually seemed eager to
invite me onstage. "Didja bring your whistles?" he
asked. Bill made sure I had. Now I was nervous
about high expectations... these guys were in their
element and I'm just a bum from out of town.

Well, in the second set I got up and sang one, then
backed Mickey and the band through a few more
tunes, playing through Harold's awesome rig. The
crowd really came alive and made me feel more than
welcome. I told 'em I just ~wished~ I could play a
club like that back in Denver. Maybe it was the
Johnny Walker, but I sure had a great time.

Bill got up and played a few in the next set,
absolutely nailing a Little Walter tune. Great
chops and the boy can sing too! Harold is a class
act, gracious and open minded.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my expreience and to
thank Bill once again, and to remind all you online
subscribers what an AWESOME resource these harp
lists are.

Almost made me forget the fact that I was missing
the Rocky Mountain Harmonica Festival that was
taking place that very night back in Denver.

Which reminds me... Anyone who was there... How was
it? Michelle? Dave Minson? Speak up!

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.