Re: [Harp-L] The wonder of effects pedals... Hammond B3 sound

"samblancato" wrote":
"...I went out and bought an equalizer, an overdrive and a reverb pedal.
So what I learned is that for $175.00 it's possible for a guy to
transform his point-to-point wired tube amp based on the Bassman design
into a Pignose Hog 20!"

The single type of effects pedal that's least likely to work with any
microphone and amp combination is an overdrive or distortion device.
(Amp modelers work well, but that's a different story.)  I've never
heard anyone get a decent sound onstage (i.e. loud, interesting, and no
feedback) with any distortion stompbox, and I've tried a lot of them
myself.  The Danelectro reverb pedal is just not a good reverb for
anything but wierd, spacey effects.  The EQ might be worth something for
harp, especially as a means to reducing feedback.

In general, when harp players start messing around with effects, a good
place to start is time-based effects: reverbs, delays, choruses,
flangers, and phase shifters.  These are available in a wide range of
prices, and some very inexpensive (less than $50 new) devices produce
very good sounds.  (Don't ask me which ones; check musiciansfriend.com
and americanmusicalsupply.com for sales, and then look up the stuff
that's on sale at harmonycentral.com.) You can do a lot of very nice
things to a harp sound with delay and reverb in particular.  In fact,
delay is probably the single most important effect for any musician
working with electric gear, followed closely by reverb.

After those, the next most important effect for harp players -- and
here's where the controversy might start -- is amp modeling.  Amp
modelers do what harp players always wanted distortion boxes to do: they
put grit and punch in the sound, WITHOUT inducing feedback.  Decent amp
modeling devices are now available in the $60-$400 price range.  The
ones selling for $125 and up include expression pedals, and they're
worth it.

Some might put pitch-based effects like pitch shifters before amp
modelers.  This point of view has some merit. In any case, like I said
above, a good delay is number one on the list, and a decent reverb is
probably number 2.  All of the amp modelers on the market include decent
reverbs and delays.  If you just want a delay, decent units can be found
for as little as $25.  Again, watch the Internet retailers for sales,
and read the reviews at harmonycentral.com BEFORE you buy.  I repeat:
read the reviews at harmonycentral.com BEFORE you buy.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com