Re: [Harp-L] adjusting sticking reed question

Captron100@xxxx wrote:
> I have a Special 20 A harp with some sticking low blow
> notes. My first question: should i gap the offending reed
> by pushing down from the reed's tip or is it better to
> support the reed about halfway along its length and only
> push down (adjust) the last half of the reed?

Unless you know specifically what you're doing, I'd suggest just
pushing down on the tip to open the gap.  The other technique you
describe will add some curve to the reed, and is a pretty tricky
operation, could have catastrophic results.  Practice on some old
harps first.

>  Second question: i've read that the other reed in the hole, in
> this case the draw reed, does affect the responsiveness of the
> opposite reed.  What do i have to know about this to determine if
> the draw reed is causing my blow reed to be sticking?

The adjustment of the draw reed isn't generally associated with
excessive "sticking" or choking of the blow reed.  Where the draw
reed really starts to affect blow response is if the draw gap is
open too far and makes the blow reed feel excessively airy,
or "weak" in response.

Good luck!

-tim

Tim Moyer