Re: [Harp-L] Why use an effects pedal?

Smo-joe wrote:
"Lee Oskar used to play very cleanly. The last couple time I heard
him live, he used a lot of effects. I didn't like it. He also has been
dragging out tunes for up to 13+ minutes. Don't like that either. I
feel if a person wants to play harmonica, they should play
harmonica. If they want a lot of effects, get a Millionizer."

So, like, Little Walter shoulda played the Millionizer, I guess, instead
of putting the harp through a tube amp?

With due respect, this is the 21st century.  Every other musician in the
world is using lots of effects, and I don't see why harmonica players
ought to make a point of being ignorant about it.  Hell, we've already
got a reputation for being ignorant about everything else where music is
concerned.

I've released two CDs containing nothing but solo harmonica
performances, with no effects other than reverb, so I don't have
anything to prove where purely acoustic harmonica is concerned.  But if
I want to use an effects chain as long as the Panama Canal, I'm going to
do it.

Thanks, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com

I think you both have a valid point of view and that there's no conflict. To me the harmonica has the capability of being a beautifully expressive instrument in its own right, literally very close to the human voice in its expressive potential, and can therefore be played just clean and unadorned and sound superb. If that's what you want to do you are 100 per cent right. If on the other hand you want to experiment with the possibilities of 21st century sound effects that is equally valid. The artist always has the freedom to go his or her own way, though their followers (who also have choices) may be disappointed on occasion. Tough! A bit reminiscent of Bob Dylan annoying everyone by going all electric in the 60s.... ;-)

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica

Steve's CD of mostly traditional Irish, "Blowing Through The Reeds," is now available! Hear clips at http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm