Re: [Harp-L] Why use an effects pedal?

<quote>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 09:35:45 -0500
From: Tim Dougherty <timd@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Why use an effects pedal?

Hello list,

In the last few days, I've seen quite a few posts about folks using effects
pedals with this or that amp.  Having always been a "straight-to-the-amp"
kind of guy, I'm curious to know why a pedal would be a good thing?  If
we're constantly battling with all the other amplified instruments to cut
through the mix, wouldn't an echo, chorus, etc. just further muddy the
sound?  Has this technique been used to good effect by noted players that I
could listen to?  I'm not throwing stones - I just what benefit you see
from doing it.
Thanks,
Tim Dougherty
</quote>

Hi Tim,
  Because they're fun. Because they sound cool. And not everyone experiences
problems with them.  You'll read and hear about the complaints and the
advice they're given, but rarely hear much about the successes.

MadCat Ruth, Lee Oskar, Richard Hunter, John Popper, are a few names that
come to mind of people who use a lot of effects successfully.

For myself I like good reverb.  For funky stuff an envelop filter is fun.
Set up properly you can get these playing pretty loud without striking
feedback problems.

-- G.