RE: [Harp-L] Looking for a good overblow harp

Chris Michalek wrote:
> There are no good custimized harps for under $100.  Your best bet
> is to go through Jimmy Gordon.  www.customharmonicas.com If you are
> going the custom harp route you need to use a guy that can actually
> overblow with proficiency.

Interestingly, both Jimmy Gordon and Richard Sleigh sell a
customized harp for less than $100 (Jimmy's start at $95, Richard's
at $93.50).

I also agree that you should use a customizer who is proficient at
overblowing.  Learning to overblow changed my playing dramatically,
and thus the harmonicas that I build.  I don't think Chris has tried
one of my harps, and if so, not recently.  I think they overblow
pretty damned nicely, if I do say so myself.  At the very least, I
will stand behind them 100%, and guarantee satisfaction.

> Your other option is to learn to set them up yourself.

One of the problems with setting up harmonicas for people learning
to overblow is that to facilitate developing the technique the harp
should be set up to maximize the overblow response.  As technique is
developed and overblows become easier it's possible to move the
setup closer to "normal" while still permitting overblows while not
being so suceptible to choking when they're played hard.

When you get good enough at it, like Chris, you can overblow just
about anything, although by that time you're so used to a responsive
harp that you don't want to go back to those out-of-the-box things.

My point is that you really *have* to learn to set harps up for
yourself to at least some extent to learn to overblow, or else your
customized harp is going to spend a lot of time in a box going back
to the shop for readjustments as you get better.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps
http://www.workingmansharps.com/