[Harp-L] Re: Why use an effects pedal?

Paul deLay springs to mind, he was using quite a few effects last time I heard him and you can spot them on the albums too. Steven de Bruyn in Belgium uses some tremolo effects, and I'm not even mentioning Johnny Mars, John Popper or Marco Balland here in France who are effects wizards in their own rights...

Ben

Hello list,

In the last few days, I've seen quite a few posts about folks using effects pedals with this or that amp. Having always been a "straight-to-the-amp" kind of guy, I'm curious to know why a pedal would be a good thing? If we're constantly battling with all the other amplified instruments to cut through the mix, wouldn't an echo, chorus, etc. just further muddy the sound? Has this technique been used to good effect by noted players that I could listen to? I'm not throwing stones - I just what benefit you see from doing it.

Thanks,

Tim Dougherty
www.HarpMicGaskets.com