From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Steve Shaw
Sent: Friday, October 08, 2004 5:35 AM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Somthing better than a Pig Nose . . .

>. . . but not high end.
>
>Yesterday, I dropped by a local music store. The owner was outside playing
>guitar. I stopped top talk with him and saw a Pig Nose amp in the window. I
>asked him if he had a Hog 20 or 40 in stock. He said no, but he could order
>one
>for me.
>
>Later I told my wife about the amp and she went back to the store and
>bought
>he Pig Nose for me. My wife is nice that way.
>
>Anyway: When I got it home, I found that the thing hums at low volume: Up
>a little more than a 1/4 turn, then starts to squeal. I am thinking of
>taking
>it back and ordering a different amp. Or is there something I can do to
>stop
>the hum?
>
>I donâ?? know a lot about these things and am not interested in buying a
>$1000.00 Thunder Clapper.
>
>I want/need a small amp that will run on batteries and on a power cord.
>
>What are my options in a good, small, low cost amp for harmonica.: In the
>$100.00 to $300.00 range?
>
>Joe Haller

For two years I've been using a Yamaha VA10 guitar amp for pub sessions and
busking.  It runs either from the mains or from six D cell batteries (aka
LR20 and MN1300).  The batteries sound like they'd be expensive, but they
last me a long time - at least 7 or 8 long sessions if not more (I use the
amp for harp-playing only).  I used to plug it in at the pub but now I don't
bother - I reckon the batteries cost me less than 50p per session.

The amp is 12" by 9" by 6" and weighs under 10lb with batteries.  It's rated
at 6 watts.  It has high and low input sockets, aux in, phones, volume,
treble, middle and bass, and variable controls for distortion, chorus and
delay.  It doesn't have reverb, but a touch of delay is about as good.

For the ultimate in travelling light I use it with a lapel mic that was
originally bought for minidisc recording, but it also works fine with my
green bullet.

It cost me £100 in the UK, which is equivalent to about $175 (ish), but
these things always seem to be cheaper there than here in rip-off Britain.
Whether it's available there is another matter.  I think most people would
think that this was a better bet than that little pignose, though it's a bit
bigger.

I love it - even more because of its lovely brown leather carry-handle.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica

Steve's CD of mostly traditional Irish,  "Blowing Through The Reeds,"  is
now available!  Hear clips at http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm