Re: [Harp-L] Musicology

If you want the quick and dirty way to find out about music consult the Idiot
series. I have all three of the below books. I just purchased Music Theory
and Solo Improv from my local Barnes & Noble. The last I reviewed and liked when
it was released.

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory

The Complete Idiot's guide to Solo Improvisation

and if you can stand it,
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing the Harmonica

Some of this information is old new for those of us who have a basic
understanding of music from years of hacking away at some instrument, private lessons
as a youth -- hay, I must have been in college when I discovered that not
everybody could read music -- and what do I know, I'm just an old newspaperman.

Problem is, if YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT MUSIC you have to start
somewhere. And IF YOU CAN GET PAST THE SERIES TITLE -- don't like the word Idiot --
get over it -- these books are a good place to start.
The whole Idiot series is.

Mainly, because the books assume no prior knowledge.

All the computer instruction books that come with the computers assume the
purchaser has a degree in computer engineering and computer program and are
written to that level. For the rest of us who are NEW to the subject, this is of
no help.

If anybody cares, I will be writing articles about Music
Theory and Solo Improv in future issues of American Harmonica Newsmagazine.

In the meantime, I'm still working on the 2004 SPAH issue of AHN (Sept-Oct)
-- which explains why it ain't at your mailbox yet!
Phil Lloyd/contributing editor
American Harmonica Newsmagazine