[Harp-L] re: not getting off scott free

Sometimes you need to talk with your band members.

When I joined the Cooper Hill Band, I thought my job was to add some manic
energy to the band so I played a lot. For years. No one said anything. Then I
asked--How am I doing? Is this cool? Uh, Jim, maybe you could hold back a
little. No problem. Now I play a solo or two on most songs, don't play any
accompaniment. There's two guitars a bass and drums. I let them take all the
fills. I watch everyone carefully. The lead guitarist is on the other side of
the drums so sometimes I can't hear him. I have to watch to see if he's
soloing. The guitarist also told me some of the songs went on too long. Cool.
Your guitar solo is 20 minutes long. I was waiting for you to come back
singing. Oh, I was waiting for you to stop soloing. Now I watch him. When he
nods, I start singing.

We're all long time friends. I've known the lead guitarist since junior high. No
one wants to step on anyone's toes but sometimes it helps to talk things
out--find out what people want,find out how things are going.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.soundclick.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals.htm