Re: [Harp-L] Slonimski

Actually, I'm fairly familiar with theory. I CAN play all the major
scales _slowly_ on a few instruments - the piano, guitar, bass,
recorder, flute, french horn. However, playing diatonic harmonica is
kinda freeing in terms of developing melodies. You're usually in the
right key and if not, you can use your wrong note as a passing tone to
the righe one. I can play diatonic melodies (as well as those with the
standard bends) with relative ease. The notes come fluidly,
expressively, interestingly out my harp. I'm starting to get some
sense of how to use OB's and OD's, though. But really only from
certain positions (1-5, 12). Of those, I'm only REALLY comfortable
with 1-3 and 12. I find the OB's are best used as passing tones to the
next chromatic note up the scale (5 OB into 6 blow and 7 OD into 8
draw are nice because of proximiity and direction of the breath). I
haven't listened to tons of Levy, but the stuff I have heard him do
sounds like that's mostly the way he's using them to my ears.

So, Chris. I actually own a copy of the Thesaurus, but everytime I
approach it, I'm eventually overwhelmed. So give me a course of study.
If I wish to be as fluid and versatile as you, what should my schedule
look like? Where should I start in the Slonimsky book? I'm guessing
NOT the Tritones Progressions. How much time should be spent doing
these kinds of exercises? How much time composing? How much time
jamming? How much time transcribing and/or listening? Are there some
things I should do before attempting others? If its not clear by now,
I'm trying like hell to become proficient (virtuosic? but maybe that's
going too far) at the instrument and a little guidance would be more
than appreciated.

Anyhow, thanks for your time., We now return you to your regularly
scheduled harp chat. :-)