Re: [Harp-L] Robert Klein

On 1 Oct 2004, Bob Laughton wrote:

 : I remember many years ago seeing him do a number on the telly
 : (was it Sat Nite Live?) wearing a bandana on his head, fronting a
 : little band. He was playing riffs and keeping time jerking his
 : right knee emphatically. After a couple of choruses, he pulled
 : his deadpan mug up to the mike and started the vocal:
 :
 : "I cayn't... stop... mah leg..."

He'd do that for a while, then all of a sudden the band would
do a break, he'd look down and go "Mah leg stopped!"  Long
improvised vocal solo: "Mmm-mm-mm-mm, I wanna thank
you Lord, for stoppin mah leg!"--then the band comes out of
the break, & he'd come back in with the lyric: "There it goes
again!"

Funny stuff.

I seem to remember he did another bit with a harmonica, too,
talking about hospitals & wondering why they needed to
spend so much money on all the fancy equipment like heart
monitors & stuff.  He figured it'd be cheaper if they just stuck
a harmonica in each patient's mouth.  You wouldn't even
need to look at 'em: you could tell by ear how each patient
was doing.  The ward would be full of pleasant music, instead
of all that pinging & beeping.  And if one of 'em did happen to
expire, at least he'd go out on a nice restful major chord (puts
harp in mouth, closes eyes, and breathes out).

How comedy has changed.

Dave Weeks
Pleasant Hill, Calif.