re: [Harp-L] 'A' harp cutting through, telling guitarists to turn down

I find loud gigs tedious either as performer or audience, you lose the
tastiest dynamics, it removes any intimacy or subtlety - and need to wear
earplugs just to be in the same room.

  It is much easier for a musician to compensate the mix by turning up their
rig, than trying to get the others to turn down - but if the band is
organised, has a strong band leader and everyone agrees to maintain sane
levels, then theres no reason why it couldn't be done. But usually the only
times I see bands keep it down is when the manager of the venue wants to
avoid noise complaints.

  I'd much prefer practising at home than playing onstage with a loud band -
it's more productive. At least I get to hear what I'm doing in relation to
the backing, and learn from it.

More thoughts on high volumes and its health risks here:
http://www.angelfire.com/music/harmonica/ampdtone.html#highvolume

-- G.