[Harp-L] 'A' harp cutting through, telling guitarists to turn down

I followed this thread and I just wanted to add another side to the
discussion.  It may  in fact be almost impossible to get *some* guitarists
to dial it back and some others will be more cooperative - I think it takes
a certain kind of finesse and diplomacy that I haven't as yet learned.  I
just want to point out why I think it is that the git boys like it so loud
in the first place.  Volume covers over lots of stuff- poor timing, poor
intonation, lack of imagination.  This is the main reason for all the
volume.  I've played with enough good musicians to know that the more
skilled guitarists don't mind dialing it back.  And if it's blues we're
talking about you *have* to dial it back because blues requires a lot more
dynamic room - it's not all about the orgasm if you know what I mean.  Many
rock guitarists think blues is just slowed-down rock and roll.  These are
the guys who LOVE Steve Ray.

I don't suggest you say any this to any guitarists who plays too loud (you
might get into a fight!) but here's what you can do:

1. start your own band
2. get a really loud rig
3. start a trend in your area for playing at lower volumes (ha ha)

I went through this struggle about a year back and I have given up trying to
get crappy rock guitarists to turn it down.  The hall-mark trait of crappy
rock guitarists is paying loudly and since I usually try to live and let
live I just don't go there any more.

Sam Blancato, Pittsburgh