[Harp-L] history of music theory

Hi, a somewhat academic question for the musicians on this list who might also be history buffs:

Does anyone know where I could find information on the history of music fundamentals (for lack of a better term):

1) when were the letters A-G assigned to the scale? Or the French Do-re-mi? Who came up with that?
2) how did we end up with 12 notes in a chromatic scale, and not say 10 (decimal base) or 16 (a power of 2 base)?
3) why is the major scale 7 notes and not 6 or 8?
4) why are those seven notes spaced as 1-1-1/2-1-1-1-1/2?
5) when and how was the standard C note chosen?
6) has anyone created music on a decimal or hexadecimal scale? What does it sound like?
7) what is the oldest written sheet of music found?
7) many other questions that answers to the above would create :)

I suspect many of these don't have definite answers, but there's probably books/web sites on this stuff, written for laypeople. I did a search on musicology, historical musicology, but it doesn't seem those are the right terms.

Oliver