[Harp-L] Chord inversions

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Winslow Yerxa wrote:

> There is no such thing.
>
> An F major chord has only three notes and therefore only two
> inversions:
>
> - Root position: F in the bass, then A and C in no particular order.
>
> - First inversion: A in the bass, with F and C in no particular order.
>
> - Second inversion: C in the bass, with F and A in no particular
> order.
>
> After that you run out of bass notes, so there can be no third
> inversion.
>
> The concept of inversions on a treble instrument is a little dicey.
> The whole idea of inversions is the anchor note in the bass.

How do you distinguish between FAC & FCA, ACF & AFC, CFA & CAF?

I play all of them on another instrument, and thought that they were all
called inversions, though I had no name (1st, 2nd, etc) for them. As long
as I can play them, it doesn't matter what they are called. But since you
have named them it seems like there must be a way to distinguish between
all of them.

Peace and music,
Dave