RE: [Harp-L] OB, CX or XB?

Chris Michalek <Chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It is the opinion of many that folks who ise altered
> intstruments are
> those that can not do it on regular ones. Why else
> would they alter
> it? This often means they can not cut it as a "real"
> musician because
> they are lazy or need things to be easier...

Actually, it's the opinion of many that overblowers are masochists who just need things to be harder.  But that's all besides the point.  The point is what the music sounds like.

Playing the pitches with bent notes and overblown notes that sound out of tune or weak is not smart, whether or not it's easy, though of course it's not.  (Please don't bother disputing that point -- there's already been enough talk on this list about how much work it takes to do overblowing right, not to mention that according to Chris's recent comments only five guys in the world can do it right.)  Of course, one might argue that the bent notes and overblown notes don't have to be out of tune or weak.  But they often are.  When the technique works, it's because of all the work it takes to get those bent and overblown notes not to sound weak and out of tune.  Good lord, man!  Give yourself a break!  Toil for the sake of toil is not character-building.

I would never argue that people who choose not to use my preferred technique are lazy.  If they can get the job done without breaking a sweat, more power to them. If they feel constrained to work harder than anybody else to get the same results, good luck to them.

Standard disclaimer: this is only my opinion, no matter how strongly stated.

Thanks, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com