[Harp-L] Tunings

The late Donny Brooks started studying chromatic with me in the early 70's
and he and I used to cover for each other in the studio all the time.  If
the date called for real good country diatonic, I would call Donny and have
him do the date.  If he saw a symphony and some tough sight-reading, he
would call me to do the date.

We both played CBH2016, 16 hole, since I taught him chromatic and we each
had a set of minor tuned harps with the raised 3 blow and country tuned
diatonics with a low F# and F plus a high G harp. We used Marine bands that
were first corked for air tightness and the had brass/chrome bodies made by
Leo Friedman for Marine band plates using cork and screw down plates.  This
was before Hohner came out with screw down plates.

I also used to tune the draw 7 down a half step, now the OB 7. Altered
other instruments go back to Bach Suites and Partitas for Cello and Violin
respectively and have to do with possibilities not because players couldn't
do play well.

Donny Brooks was one of the sweetest harp players in the world both
musically and as a person.  I do miss him!

Harmonically yours,

Robert Bonfiglio